While the summer months tend to keep us busy and outdoors, many of us lose track of our functional movement patterns when participating in repetitive activities such as golfing, gardening, or sitting for long periods in planes or cars while traveling.
To avoid vacation or travel injuries, it’s helpful to have a routine that keeps your movement patterns in check. Here are some helpful tips for keeping a healthy routine over the summer months:
- Attend your regular Pilates Class(es) if you’re in town!
- Check in with your instructor if you’ll be away and let them know what types of activities you’ll be doing. They can give you some tips to help keep you injury free while you’re away.
- If you’re going on a long trip, try to book a 1-hr private session with an instructor prior to your departure to have a short “home & travel” program custom built to your needs and activities.
- If you already have a home program or regularly do mat Pilates exercises, keep up with your routine while traveling. (*Make sure you have access to a good quality camping mat if you’re working on mat exercises to avoid joint pain).
- If you’re traveling near cities, check in with our instructors about Pilates studios where you’ll be traveling. Depending on the length and location of your vacation, Susan may be able to recommend local studios to attend!
- Regardless of the activities you end up doing, remember to listen to your body. Keep active when you’re feeling up for it, but also remember to rest and not to push past your limit.
If you have any questions about keeping healthy over the summer months, all of the instructors are happy to chat!